Saturday, April 2, 2011

Honesty

Last night, we let our 12 year old spend the night with 3 of his cousins.  His 17 year old cousin recently got his license and they were eager to go out without parents.  I know some people would think we are crazy, but when you trust your kids, you give them a little "room to grow".  Were we nervous?  Sure.  But I get nervous anytime my kids are with anyone but me.  We had the long talk of expectations, being respectful, etc.  Basically, the bottom line was, If you blow this chance to prove you can handle this, don't expect the freedom again.

The line-up for the night consisted of them going to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and then McDonald's.   Of course they posted on FB how much fun they were having, so we were able to "check in" without them realizing.

When D was dropped off this morning at home, he immediately started to tell me how that was the best Friday night of his life!  He went on to say how it was so cool to be out without grownups telling them what to do.  AND that they could really do anything without us EVER knowing.

Then he proceeds to say, "So do you want to know exactly what we did??"  I got the play by play action for the night, he got his freedom, and I do feel confident that in his excitement over being free, I know everything they did (complete with cousin getting lost and backing into a pole).

I just hope he keeps me inadvertantly in the loop for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment