Friday, April 8, 2011

The Substitute

Sometimes it's easy to think that our kids just "go with the flow."  For the most part, my kids aren't big into set routines.  Sure, we sort of do the same things most days at approximately the same times.  But if things change on a whim, they are generally okay with it.

Or so I thought.

Last night, my kindergartener got out of bed.  I was saying goodnight to her brother when she gave me a startle standing at the bottom of the stairs in the dark.

Me:  What's wrong?  (thinking, oh no...flu? fever? sore throat?)

A:  I can't go to school tomorrow.  My belly hurts.  (Cue the tears)

Me:  Why does your belly hurt?  Are you okay?  (Oh crap, it's the flu)

A:  Mrs. B is not going to be at school tomorrow.  We are having a substitute.  (crying starts in earnest)

Me:  Uhhhhh....

A:  So I can't...go...to school.  Tomorrow.  Because of the sub.

Me:  (walking her back to bed) Well let's think about this.   I bet Mrs. B would be sad to hear how sad you are.  Do you know who the substitute will be?

A:  Yes, he's very nice.

Me:  Well then there's nothing to worry about!

A:  Uh-huh!  He's not Mrs. B.  He doesn't do things like she does.

Me:  Well, that's kind of like when Mommy's not home and you are here with Daddy.  Daddy does things much differently than Mommy does.  But you still have fun with him.

A:  Well, I'm not going to school.

Me:  But Mrs. B counts on kids like you who know the rules.  You can help the substitute if he needs it. 

A:  (red, puffy face...done talking to me).

Me:  So let's get a good night's sleep so you can be ready for tomorrow.  Here's a biiigggg hug.  I love you, and I know you can handle this.  

A:  But I hate subs.

Me:  I understand.  But sometimes we have to do things even when we don't want to.  (Good Lord, how does my mother channel herself like that?)

Next morning....she's still pretty insistant that she can't go to school.  I'm stilll pretty insistent that she can.  I even try to tell her stories of when I used to sub in classrooms, but she wasn't interested in the least, so I am guessing anyone reading this won't be either.  I kept expecting a call from the nurst though, telling me to come get my "sick" child.

Fast foward to getting off the bus:  Mom!!  Guess what?  Today was a great day!  We had so much fun.  It was one of the best days.  We got to paint.  We made eggs and frogs. I can't wait to show you!

That's my girl.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like my Tallin. He wondered how the sub would know what to do and when to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She completely loves her teacher too, so I think she takes it personally when Mrs. B is not there!

    ReplyDelete