Friday, April 1, 2011

Oh Mother Nature, what a cruel joke to play

April Fool's! 

I was really hoping to come up with some good jokes to play on my kids today.  In past years, I'd convinced my oldest son (then about 4, I guess) that because it had been a leap year nobody got to celebrate birthdays and he would have to stay 4 another whole year.  That sounds kind of mean I realize now, but he was always a "smart" kid and he had a good laugh when I called him out as an April Fool.  Plus, his birthday wasn't even till August, so I'm sure his little brain was working out a plan to still have a party. 

Mother Nature is playing quite a trick on most of us.  SNOW!  There are reasons that I was happy to move away from upstate NY, and having snow from October till Mother's Day was one very good one. 

Granted, we barely have the grass covered here.  But it's still a very wet, thick snow.  I slipped my way to the van to drive my son to his bus stop.  Then I slid walking my other son to his.  Guess I shouldn't have packed the boots away quite yet. 

I stopped to check on my flowers.  Now, if Mother Nature knew me at all, she would know that I need all the help I can get in growing flowers.  Even the ones that come up year after year have a way of spiting me by either not budding or getting choked to death by weeds before I can save them.  This morning, I do believe my crocuses croaked. 

So, dear Mother Nature...please send Spring our way soon.  I'd like to try to make the world a more beautiful place to live, but I don't really know what to do with frozen flowers.  And realistically, if it's going to be so cold, I won't be out worrying too much about them.  And I hate being an April Fool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment