Monday, April 11, 2011

More than "just a babysitter"

Okay, those who know me know I've worked with children most of my life.  The one true thing I knew I always wanted to do was make a difference to a child.

I've been on every part of the spectrum...an assistant, a camp counselor, a camp director, a substitute teacher, a preschool teacher within a child care center, a Special Instructor in Early Intervention, an in-home child care provider, and a working mom whose children have been in centers and home care.

So, while not trying to brag about my credentials, I do feel very qualified to say this:

Your babysitter?  The one who is your age or older?  Who has been providing care for years, who either has a degree or does trainings to keep up-to-date with the latest trends in early childhood education?  You know who I mean, don't you?  Yes, you do. 

Don't call her that.  The "babysitter."

Believe me, she cringes every time you do.  She's probably even sent home subtle hints (because most providers are truly too kind for confrontation).  Go ahead, open up your child's diaper bag or book bag.  See what's in there.  I'll wait.  What?  Nothing?  Sigh. Go find your child care agreement or handbook that was given to you at the beginning.  Or your tax statement for child care.  I'm pretty sure none of them will say anything about babysitting.

Hmmm, so maybe I am a bit overboard.  Nah, I've known enough providers over the years, and this is one thing mentioned over and over.  Think for a minute.

When you hear the word "babysitter" what comes to mind?  A teenage girl?  Someone who probably does enjoy your kids, but is just as interested in getting them tucked into bed so she can open a soda and text her friends?  Grandma or a neighbor who is happy to help out, but is also content to get their housework done while Nick Jr is on.

And now say this...Child Care Provider.  Kind of brings up a whole different image, huh?

So what's the difference?

A babysitter, in my opinion, is someone doing you a favor once in a while so you can have some free time to enjoy a night out, a night in, or whatever it is you want to do that you don't want to be responsible for kids. 

A child care provider does just that.  Provides care to your child.  Feeds them meals and snacks.  Pays taxes.  Plans activities based on the age of the children in care and what her personal beliefs are for learning (learning through play, structured activities, large motor, small motor, sensory experiences, language development...there's lots of ways to get there, so not all providers will do this the same way).  Some provide more of a "home away from home" experience, while others provide more school readiness, while most combine the best of both worlds!  Not exactly sure what your provider's thoughts are on this?  Ask!!  Believe me, she will love to inform you! 

Bottom line...  Respect.  Sure, it's just a word.  But words hold a lot of power within.

The following was taken from http://www.daycareanswers.com/poems-for-daycare-providers.html



(This story was not credited.  I do like to give credit where it is due, so if anyone knows the source I'll be happy to add it)
What Do Daycare Providers Make?


The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with children.
He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided
their best option in life was to become a daycare provider?"


He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about daycare providers:


"Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch kids."  To stress his point he said to another guest,  "You're a babysitter, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"


 Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied,
"If you really want to know what I make, I will tell you.
 I make kids play harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a completed art project feel like winning the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids share, speak kindly and be accountable for their actions."


"You want to know what I make?


I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them try.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them understand that if you use your brains,
and follow your heart, you can accomplish anything.


I make them know they are important and loved.
I make them know they are special.
I make them know if someone ever tries to judge them by what they make,
they must pay no attention because that person just didn't learn."
Susan paused and then continued.
"You really want to know what I make?"


"I MAKE A DIFFERENCE."


"What do you make?"


If your provider makes a difference in your child's life, please tell them!  If they don't, you need to start looking for a new provider.  Respect their abilities to help you raise your child.  And whatever you do, don't call them the babysitter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment